- statistic sta‧tis‧tic [stəˈtɪstɪk] noun STATISTICS1. [countable usually plural] a collection of numbers that represent facts or measurements:
• Statistics show that 35% of new businesses fail in their first year.
• the October employment statistics— statistical adjective :
• There is no statistical evidence that the economy is recovering.— statistically adverb :
• The results were not statistically significant.2. statistics [plural] the branch of mathematics that studies facts and information represented by a collection of numbers:
• The course includes mechanics, statistics, and computer science.3. [singular] a single number that represents a fact or measurement:
• Annual sales per employee have jumped about 37% , which is a statistic we feel very good about.
* * *statistic UK US /stəˈtɪstɪk/ noun► [S] a fact or piece of information that is shown by a number: »
The euro area's economic slowdown was confirmed by another statistic.»
The most interesting statistic is that the average time on the site is 14 minutes.● statistics — Cf. statistics● not just/only a statistic — Cf. not only a statistic
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
statistic — STATÍSTIC, Ă, statistici, ce, s.f., adj. I. s.f. 1. Evidenţă numerică, situaţie cifrică referitoare la diverse fenomene (izolate sau generale); numărătoare. 2. Culegere, prelucrare şi valorificare a unor date legate de fenomene generale. 3.… … Dicționar Român
Statistic — Sta*tis tic (st[.a]*t[i^]s t[i^]k), Statistical Sta*tis tic*al ( t[i^]*kal), a. [Cf. F. statistique.] Of or pertaining to statistics; as, statistical knowledge; statistical tabulation. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
statistic — index computation, poll (canvass) Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
statistic — (n.) quantitative fact or statement, 1880; see STATISTICS (Cf. statistics) … Etymology dictionary
statistic — ► NOUN ▪ a fact or piece of data obtained from a study of a large quantity of numerical data. ORIGIN German Statistik … English terms dictionary
statistic — [stə tis′tik] adj. rare var. of STATISTICAL n. a statistical item or element … English World dictionary
Statistic — A statistic (singular) is the result of applying a function (statistical algorithm) to a set of data. More formally, statistical theory defines a statistic as a function of a sample where the function itself is independent of the sample s… … Wikipedia
statistic — UK [stəˈtɪstɪk] / US noun Word forms statistic : singular statistic plural statistics 1) statistics [plural] a group of numbers that represent facts or that describe a situation New statistics show the economy is continuing to grow. Official… … English dictionary
statistic — sta|tis|tic [ stə tıstık ] noun 1. ) statistics plural a group of numbers that represent facts or describe a situation: New statistics show the economy is continuing to grow. Official statistics underestimate the actual level of crime. statistic… … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
statistic — sta|tis|tic W3S2 [stəˈtıstık] n [Date: 1700 1800; : German; Origin: statistik study of political facts and figures , from Modern Latin statisticus of politics , from Latin status; STATE1] 1.) statistics a) [plural] … Dictionary of contemporary English